Subject: RE: [office-comment] Re: Ignored comment for ODF

Edmund,

If you obtain the complete package for the ODF 1.3 Committee Specification cs02, you will have everything,

<https://docs.oasis-open.org/office/OpenDocument/v1.3/cs02/OpenDocument-v1.3-cs02.zip>

These include the schemas and three flavors of the parts (HTML, ODT, and PDF). You will find the definitions with respect to ODP in the Part3-schema document.

I am unclear whether your proposals impact the ODF format, or they are more features that belong in client software that displays ODP files. I notice that the TreeSheets tutorial and feature description is not about the format but about how a client can be implemented to provide the various forms of navigation and splitting/inserting.

The ODF specification does not specify client editing interactions or any particular means for creating the recorded form of a document (e.g., an ODP file).

So the first question is what needs to be in the persisted, static form of a document to somehow reflect or enable the manipulations you are proposing.Â

The next question is whether such provisions in the document could be handled with office:settings that would be provided in a form that is identifiable as a particular provision that particular applications might recognize by agreement among implementers. The ODF TC can advise about that.

If the office:settings approach is sufficient, that can be carried out with some implementers and documented in some useful way that makes the practice known to others.

If there is something new needed in ODF to enable the functionality, that is best discussed by making proposals of textual changes/additions and not making pushes against the document repository. The ODF TC can advise you on that.

With regard to the behavior of a prominent client, you might still want to discuss your proposals with The Document Foundation, where the client side functionality you propose might be implemented in the LibreOffice open-source software. This is about software now, not the specification or the format of saved documents. Whether there is any mutual agreement at that level depends very much on how different supporters of ODF (e.g., Microsoft Office, Apple, and Google Docs) choose to incorporate in their support for ODF and of client-software user facilities.

Does this clarify anything for you?

I am certain Patrick and others can provide you with further information, especially for proposing specific detailed changes to the ODF specifications.

Regards and best wishes,

  • Dennis E. Hamilton