Subject: Re: [office-formula] CONVERT

> > > CONVERT_ANY ? ;-)
Eike:
> This is another problem. The conversion data is not yet part of an ODF
> document, and I'm actually not sure how it could be accomplished. It is
> not clear what should take precedence then, the document's table or the
> configuration's table. There are use cases for both, and there are also
> reasons to have it controlled either by the document or the application
> respectively its user.
>
> > I'm wondering if we shouldn't do that this go-round.  We already have
> > various lookup functions, which would mostly do this job, and I fear
> > that trying to specify how this exchange table is handled is suddenly
> > a big addition.
>
> Indeed, it would be a bigger addition to ODF. I guess we'd have to
> discuss that on the TC level, but first develop some strategy regarding
> different use cases. I suggest to postpone this aspect until we're done
> with the rest of our ODFF definitions to get more important things done
> first, but inform the TC that maybe there's something to come. However,
> we may be too late in time to get that in for the v1.2 review phase.

Agree.  Let's postpone this until we get things wrapped up.  In fact, I propose we just not worry about it until this thing is through and accepted by the TC.  Since it's not even _documented_ in OOo's own help files, I suspect very few people depend on it for interoperability :-).

There's a long list of nice-to-have functions.  Gnumeric in particular has a huge list of interesting functions, and KOffice has come up with a few that are really clever too.  I think we can easily put CONVERT_ANY into the same pot.