Subject: Re: [office-metadata] clarifying fields and metadata

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> Svante Schubert wrote:
>
>> Why not take 'meta:property' to describe the label you are using?
>
> Because it's semantics are different. It encodes a predicate, while
> here you want to say which predicate to use for display.
Isn't this only a difference in RDF vocabulary?
Does it makes any difference if meta:property describes the element
content to be a vCard:FamilyName or citation:FullQuote? Both times
metadata is being attached to the ODF element.

The real difference is provided by using the element text:meta-label by
which we make an indication that the element content depend on metadata
and someone has to/will take care of.
We might have called the element text:meta-field if this name would not
already make assumptions about the implementation. Furthermore, usually
in ODF the element name describes the content.

>> In case we would not have an extra citation field, the various forms
>> of citation fields could be distinguished by the RDF predicate.
>
> Right, but if we consider my citation case, it might not make sense to
> define the display property there necessarily, except in situations
> where the display might be locally modified from the default (e.g. a
> user decides they want to suppress the author name on one particular
> citation).
>
> Consider formatting rules like:
>
> For citations, use "[author family name(s)], [year]:[cited pages]".
>
> Where there are multiple references in a citation, sort by author-date.
>
> Where there are multiple references in a citation from the same
> author, suppress author names for all but the first.
>
> I'm not sure. Would you advocate *requiring* this?
>
> <text:meta-label
> meta:classification="http://opendocument.xml.org/meta/fields/citation";>
> (
> <text:meta:label
>     meta:about="urn:isbn:98347823"
>     text:display-property="http://opendocument.xml.org/meta/fields/citation#citation-full";>Doe
> 1999</text:label>,
> <text:meta:label
>     meta:about="http://ex.net/1";
>     text:display-property="http://opendocument.xml.org/meta/fields/citation#citation-short";>1999</text:label>
>
> )
> </text:meta:label>
Your example seems valid to me, but might as well been written as (still
using the discussed xml:id):

<text:meta-label xml:id="myID"
meta:classification="http://opendocument.xml.org/meta/fields/citation";>
(Doe 1999, 1999)</text:meta:label>

Providing similar RDF triple in RDF/XML without giving detailed
information about the subparts of the label as we won't specify the
subparts of the string "14th of December", neither.

Svante.