Subject: Re: [office] YEARFRAC, etc.

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 20:26 -0400, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>  If our formula subcommittee or others can derive a
> technically sufficient definition for YEARFRAC that is accepted for use
> by other standards,

Clearly this is not something in the power of the formula subcommittee:
the committee can possibly come up with a definition but how can it
ensure that it "is accepted by other standards". It seems to be clear
that if the definition doesn't match the secret calculations in MS Excel
it won't do for some.

>  such that it promotes more interoperability, that is
> the one I will support over a technically sufficient definition that is
> different from that used by others.

Andreas

--
"Liberty consists less in acting according to
one's own pleasure, than in not being subject

Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences
Concordia University College of Alberta