Subject: Re: [office] Public comment #20 -- default print range in tables

Dave Pawson wrote:
> 2008/7/1 Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg
> <Michael.Brauer@sun.com>:
>> Dave Pawson wrote:
>
>>> In which case I would fall back to an 'unspecified' value.
>>> I.e. require the application to prompt for a print range.
>>> Then store that.
>> How do you do that if your application is a server which has no UI? Consider
>> that ODF is not only suitable for classical desktop applications.
>
> We can't handle all what if's for the future.

But that's not the future. Servers do exist already.

But in general you are right. We can't handle all possible if's for the
future.

> The objection to leaving it unspecified has been quoted.
> Nasty user experience.

User experience is always a difficult topic. Some consider it to be good
user experience to ask the user what to do. Others consider it to be
better to do anything reasonable but not to ask the user. So, there are
many options what to do if a document does not define a print range. I'm
sure every vendor's user experience team has a different opinion here.

Anyway, I think what is essential is that ODF allows to specify the
print range. Therefore an application or author or application that does
want to specify what exactly is printed can do so. And an author or
application that wants to give other application some freedom here, can
do that, too.

> Even on a server someone is asking to print *something*
> ~Ask them what they want to print.

I'm not sure. You may send an e-mail to the person that started the job,
or something like that. But is that really what you want if you print a
document where let's say the first 10x10 cells have some content and the
others are all empty only because the document does not say that exactly
these cells should be printed?

Michael

> Use a get out clause for the 'final' clause.
>
> Without a specified or stored range the operation is unspecified.
>
> That should be clear enough. Without falling back to implementor defined.
>
> regards

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten