Subject: Re: [office] Public comment #20 -- default print range in tables

A few other scenarios:

1) A user loads a ODF spreadsheet document where no print range was specified.  They select a range of cells and click the print button.  What prints?  The selected range?  Or the default range?  Note that they have not saved the document with the new print range yet.

2) A user loads an ODF spreadsheet document with a pre-defined print range.  They select a range of cells and click the print button.  What prints?  The selected range?  Or the stored print range?  Note that they have not saved the document with the new print range yet.

3) A user loads a ODF spreadsheet document where no print range was specified. The user clicks the print button.  The application queries the user for what range they want to print.

My point here is that runtime print behavior is more complicated than what we are saying in the standard.  The stored print range expresses what the document author set as the preferred print range.  But it does not determine what is printed the next time.  It can be overridden by the user, in the application, without changing the file.  So it is really a hint or a preference.

Similarly, the lack of a specified print range could invoke some logic to calculate a default print range, or it could be pre-selected by the user in the UI (again, without changing the stored document) or the user could be prompted for this information.

Once we go down the road of defining runtime print behavior of applications, we need to deal with more than just the data in the document.  It gets messy very quickly.