oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] application scenario The Hague

On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 16:23 +0200, Hanssens Bart wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>

> > I am somewhat concerned that there seems to be a trend to prescribe
> > implementation behaviour that goes beyond the need for interoperability
> > by describing how the interface of an implementation should look like.
>
> Is that a general observation of all the work we're doing in the OIC,
> or something specific like this application scenario ?

Well, this is the second paragraph of my message, which was intended as
to describe some general concern that in the discussions of
interoperability often it seemed to be described what the implementation
is doing. IN fact this has even invaded some of the commentary in the
ODF standard itself.

This general observation is also applicable to this specific application
scenario:

>> Create a new page style "oic-page"
>> Apply "oic-page" to current page

How does this have anything to do with interoperability but just with
how the implementation works. Unless these styles could be transferred
between documents, whether they have specific names in the interface is
interface design. I can easily imagine an implementation that would let
me choose between the page styles existing in the current document
without having given them specific names. As a user I find it always
disconcerting that I am asked to define a style and hen apply it.
(That's propbably the reason while lots of users of existing
implementation try to format documents ad-hoc rather than with separate
styles.)

>> Create a paragraph style "oic-title"
>> Apply "oic-title" to this text

ditto