Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] My perspective. display perferct?

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Peter Dolding <oiaohm@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes typesetting is a really old thing.   In this day and age there is
really no valid reason for a documentation production format not to be
able to pass typesetting tests.  Ok might not be able to creative
features and need 3d party tools to do it but it still should pass for
everything it does.  If its standard cannot it need cleaning up.

On one hand we're talking about typesetting, on the other profiles. Why not put all the typesetting guff into profile(s)?

Granted, the approaches used by ODF and PDF for laying out documents are vastly different (the former concerning itself with the composition of the data, the latter the characters themselves), but presumably with sufficient (profiled) cruft in ODF the same result could be (eventually) realised?

That way I can go about my business of making useful (primarily web) apps without having to write millions of lines of code and the typesetting tools like Quark and PageMaker can still talk to each other (ok so these tools, assuming they even still exist, using ODF natively is probably far fetched even if theoretically possible).

Sam

--
Australian Online Solutions
http://www.aos.net.au/