Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] My perspective. display perferct?

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Sam Johnston <samj@samj.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Peter Dolding <oiaohm@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes typesetting is a really old thing.   In this day and age there is
>> really no valid reason for a documentation production format not to be
>> able to pass typesetting tests.  Ok might not be able to creative
>> features and need 3d party tools to do it but it still should pass for
>> everything it does.  If its standard cannot it need cleaning up.
>
> On one hand we're talking about typesetting, on the other profiles. Why not
> put all the typesetting guff into profile(s)?

Ok most of the typesetting failures in ODF are one thing.   No rules
on were rounding is allowed in the spec.  Why create extra crud to
deal with it.   Simple rule that all formatting maths is done with the
least amount of rounding.  No stacking of rounding errors anywhere.
Then for like line wrapping and other things causing text to move
don't alter if inside rounding error.   Current ODF spec is
disregarding this key issue.

That is it.  After that ODF applications can be tested for typesetting
on everything it produces.  Ok might be lacking some of the advanced
features of Quark and PageMaker.   The key thing is that is stable and
dependable on what is creates.  The simple rule on that gets it.

Quark and PageMaker are both in the same class as Latex based stuff.
Latex is opensource and could be looked at for formal integration in
ODF at a latter date.  Expanding function to equal and pass Quark or
PageMaker for document production.   The important thing is if ODF is
not stable integration is not a option.  Other option is over time the
drawing section of ODF may pickup all the functions to do Quark and
PageMaker class documents in time.

Currently the fault is shutting many doors and many options to ODF
expanded development.

Note Sam Typesetting tests does not means ODF has the means to do
everything that Quark or PageMaker can.  Just what a ODF application
produces is close to what every other ODF application would have
produced from the same document.

Peter Dolding