Subject: Re: [regrep] Reg/Rep & UDDI (was: Describing ebXML Reg/Rep ...)

Berry, Nicholas F wrote:

>In this vein, I think it would be useful to have someone enumerate the functionality that regrep would have to add in order to show what Matt wants shown.

Hi Nicholas,

I think you may have misunderstood Matt point (or maybe I misunderstand
your point).

>Could an ebXML registry have its contents replicated (at least in the public registries)?

Yes. Replication is a sub feature of Cooperating Registries feature of
ebXMl Registry V3. Please see:

http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/ebxmlrr-spec/ebxmlrrOverview/siframes.html

>Is there something about the tModel that is specific to UDDI?

ebXML Registry has a much more powerful equivalent of tModel called
ExtrinsicObject. Unlike tModels that are simply a finger-print for
external content, an ExtrinsicObject may have an associated
repositoryItem that benefits from all the life-cycle and security
features of ebXML Registry. Furthermore, an ExtrinsicObject can be
discovered using ad hoc SQL and XML filter queries that can actually
predicate on the repositoryItem content.

>Can the web service calls take place on ebMS (ebXML Messaging Service) or only SOAP?

ebXML Registry supports SOAP, ebMS and HTTP bindings to its abstract
interface in a normative manner. This can be extended to support IIOP or
something else just as easily.

>Finally, is there a political reason for not trying to incorporate the functionality of UDDI into ebXML registries?

I am not sure which UDDI functionality is not available in ebXML
Registry V3. Can some one shed some light on this key question? On the
other hand there are many ebXMl Registry features that are not available
in UDDI.