Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Security (Re: [soa-rm] Definition of "Service Consumer")

Ken Laskey wrote:

> Is there a difference between a contract requiring security and the
> RM  including (abstract) mechanisms needed to enforce security?  I
> think  so.  I certainly do not want us to get into the details of
> security  policies or implementations but we need to consider what are
> the  abstract concepts related to security.  From past efforts, I can
> remember four:
> - authentication (the service provider can unambiguously identify the
> service requester)
> - authorization (the service provider can unambiguously determine
> that  the service requester has the right to use the service)
> - integrity (the service provider, possibly through the communication
> mechanism, can be unambiguously assured that the request has not been
> modified from what was sent by the service requester (except possibly
> as otherwise authorized))
> - nonrepudiation (neither the service requester nor the service
> provider can later claim they were not part of the request and  response)
>
> Note, I described this in the context of request/response but I
> believe  it can be generalized to other MEPs.
>
> Is this abstract enough to at least consider?

IMO This functional level is most likelly the right one, to include "primitive" categories such as authentication. However the levels of granularity need to be discussed since all above mentioned concepts are categories of functions. A more detailed level includes functions such as:

*addAuthentication of sender/requestor
*addAuthentication of intended addresse
* verifyAuthentication of sender
* etc.

The enactment of these more detailed functions could be delegated to another service, an authentication service provider.

/anders