Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Re: TC Website reorganization, and drafts update

* Murray Altheim

| The real question is whether or not we should *require* that the
| publication date be machine-readable, and if so, how the date(s)
| should be provided and maintained.

I agree. We're not really in a position to require anything, but firm
recommendations amount to much the same thing. Clearly,
machine-readable dates are more valuable than ones that are not, but
on the other hand that is, as you say, not the only consideration.

My current thinking is that the hard work is making the set of
subjects and their definitions, and not encoding the result, so that
we might as well recommend machine-readability.

| DC includes ways of establishing more specialized date semantics,
| and we'd probably be wanting initial date of publication as well as
| extent of validity and last update (or "revision date").

I was thinking primarily of revision date. The others are just
nice-to-haves.

| This may be asking a lot of our audience, esp. when the PSIs are
| part of a database or code base from which the PSI publisher is
| unclear or unable to discern the date information.

Well, for revision date this is easy. They can just use the date when
they published the data. For the others I agree that it may not be
possible to set the right dates, which IMHO is another argument for
leaving them out.

| Suffice it to say that the sources of definitions for PSIs are not
| always going to be put into a specialized XML markup language, and I
| think it's a mistake to require that.

I think it is better for us if we can support both cases, rather than
just the one. On the other hand, we are just making recommendations,
and people don't have to follow them to the letter to establish PSIs,
it's just that doing so helps them produce better results.

I think the only solution to this is really to start working and see
what we come up with, and then try to see to what extent it's possible
to fit it onto these kinds of cases.

--Lars M.