Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Subject Indicator and Subject Indicator Reference(again)

Murray

> Well, I think rather than me continue to attempt to paraphrase the
> specifications and notes for these things, I suggest we look to the
> authoritive documents themselves.

I am not sure the problem of terminology is about URIs themselves.
W3C notes on URIs don't say much on *subjects* represented by resources addressed through
their URIs, except that it is "an issue" - see the W3C note you quote
http://www.w3.org/TR/uri-clarification/
BTW this note has been referenced for a few months at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tm-pubsubj/docs/works/questions.htm

<quote>
3 - Additional URI Issues (...)
The use of URIs as identifiers that don't actually identify network resources (for example
they identify an abstract object such as an XML schema, or a physical object such as a
book or even a person).
</quote>

How is the fact that this is an "issue" to be interpreted?
The note is using the term "identify". Why can't we call simply the URI used by/for/in
<subjectIndicatorRef> the *subject identifier*?
1. It's consistent with URI terminology.
2. It's declared under <subjectIdentity>, so it's clearly an identifier. It is that URI
that will be used by TM engines to infere that two topics have the same identity.

That seem compatible with, and claryfing the other terms we have so far.
-- The URI used as "subject identifier" identifies the subject by a proxy resource, which
is the "subject indicator".
-- Since this resource (the subject indicator) can be *anything*, like you clearly pointed
(such as a laser show), it makes sense to have a different word for a resource that has
been intended and built to clearly provide a stable and non-ambiguous definition, hence a
"subject definition resource".

Does that make sense?