Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Fixing language.xtm and country.xtm

Lars,

I find the ongoing exchange about whether productive work can proceed
without some validating organization symptomatic of a root problem.
Topicmaps as a technology is not limited to the vision, however
revolutionary and farsighted, of any individual or group of individuals.
People I admire and respect were the originators of this technology (and
TopicMaps.Org but that is another story) but that does not mean that
meaningful work cannot proceed absence the concurrence of handful of
individuals who consider themselves essential to TopicMaps.Org.

Steve N. and Michel have certainly continued to be productive outside
the confines of that organization. I see no reason why anyone who wishes
to post proposals, suggestions, or other materials for public viewing
(albeit on your own website) should not feel free to do so. If your
proposals have merit, I would hope that operating outside the "official
channels" would not automatically bar them from consideration. If they
don't have merit, I am sure some member of the eventual TopicMaps.Org
group will say so. ;-)

Bottom line is: Communities are not formed by self-selected individuals
who then act as gate-keepers, or at least not successful ones.
Communities are formed by people who share an interest in an idea or
goal and who are willing to put up with each other while they work
towards an imperfect realization of that goal. (Actually that is almost
a paraphrase of a statement made by a very wise person at the very first
organizational meeting that lead to TopicMaps.Org. In view of the
childish threats of legal actions by various parties, I will not
attribute the source of the paraphrase but think the author will
recognize the sentiment.)

Post your proposals and circulate the URL on this list. I am willing to
add it to my reading list.

Anyone else?

Patrick

--