ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] UBL Order

A few more thoughts on this

1. when people use UBL they tend to use a subset and
in some cases they define this subset in some way or
they rely on an existing subset (like OIOUBL or NES UBL)

2. when people define a subset they may have a broad
closed group of UBL users in mind, as with NES UBL
and for such cases they may tend to use a liberal range
of semantic interpretations of the entity definitions

3. when people define a subset they are often deciding
cardinalities (whether or not element is optional or mandatory,
whether mutiples are allowed or not) beyond those defined
in standard UBL (but usually in a way which still conforms
to UBL schemas - so an element optional in the standard
may be mandatory or forbidden in the subset, etc)

4. when people so restrict the cardinality in the subset they
are usually making assumptions about the usage and the
semantics of the entities concerned

5. when the usage range is broad, there may be reluctance
to pin down those assumptions (for the same reasons as
in 2. above)

6. really there may be a clash between 4. and 5.

7. maybe subset definers/specifiers should consider, with
future work in mind, provided the resources available allow
it, trying to define their assumptions formally for all those
entities which are modified in the subset (modified in
comparison to the standard UBL schemas)

Point 7 is akin to my recent efforts to formally define a
calculation model for UBL invoices in relation to tax. It
might impact on a subset which restricts for its users the
entities involved in tax invoice usage how the totals are
calculated, eg if LineExtensionAmount has a different
calculation model to the TaxExclusiveAmount then it makes
sense to ensure that TaxExclusiveAmount is not restricted
out of the subset whereas if they are the same (as could be
implied in some interpretations of their UBL definitions) then
eliminating one (if it is optional) makes good sense to avoid
confusion. It depends on the interpretation of the semantics
and the resulting calculation model how you define a subset.
I hope that the same use of test assertions I have previously
suggested for the calculation model might help to formally
define the asuumptions made about the semantics and any
relevant calculation model. It may allow formal definitions
of the subset cardinality restrictions too. If conformance to
UBL is not the objective then, where there is customising
which goes beyond using the schema languages of DSDL, etc,
maybe the test assertions methodology can be used for
this too. I hope so. I guess I'm hoping the same formal
assertion methodology can support all these many aspects
of document conformance profile definition and customisation.

Of course all this means a lot of effort in defining profiles -
the specs being supported by formal test assertions which in
turn can in many cases support test execution in a validation
engine and in other cases provide a set of clear, unambigious
semantics and usage definitions to help the implementer
all written in the same test assertion format.

ref:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-dev/200907/msg00000.html

Best regards

Steve