ubl-tsc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-tsc] Re: TSC Action Item FollowUp

partially this is dealing with the legacy issue but there is a real
difference between Shipment and Consignment.

Henk has correctly noted the shipment is a commercial arrangement
(covered by a commercial contract), and consignment is logistical
arrangement (covered under a transport contract.)

Roberto is correct that we have not been consistent in out levels of
abstration.  I also suspect a problem with the word 'arrangement'

My proposal is that we should say:

Shipment: An identifiable collection of one or more goods items to be
transported between the seller party and the buyer party. This
information may be defined within a commercial contract. A shipment can
be transported in different consignments (eg split for logistical purposes).

Consignment: An identifiable collection of one or more goods items to be
transported between the consignor and the consignee. This information
may be defined within a transport contract. A consignment may comprise
of more than one shipment (eg when consolidated by a freight forwarder).

hopefully this exposes and highlights the two different 'views'.

in terms of next steps.  i suggest you propose a final definition and if
no-one objects then we adopt it.

--
regards
tim mcgrath