oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] virtual ODF interop fest ?

"Hanssens Bart" <Bart.Hanssens@fedict.be> wrote on 02/23/2009 04:40:45 PM:

> I've discussed it briefly with Carol, and we might be able to do a
> virtual ODF interop event (probably with a much lower participant
> fee than the 750 USD for "physical" interop demo)
>
> For example, we could perhaps organize a 24h online event, starting
> May 6th 10 AM (GMT).

Is there something special about May 6th?

> Of course, we need to think about logistics, so here's a short list
> As always, suggestions are mostly welcome
>

> * 1. Facility where people can sign up
> The OpenDocument XML.org could be used for this.
> We'll have to think about what info we want on the registration form

OK

> * 2. Chat room
> OASIS IRC server could be used

OK

> * 3. Subversion server or perhaps a simple website or online drive for
> sharing documents
> XML.org could be used, we'll have to think about file storage/sharing
> requirements

Are the documents only coming from the OIC TC?  If so we can post them
easily to file repository, in a ZIP if needed.  We probably don't need to
worry about SVN.  Remember, you might get less technical people interested
in an interop event, users who would just load documents on different
application/platform combinations, and report errors, but don't know how
to run Subversion.

> * 4. Place where people could save their final documents and scenarios
> Non-OIC members could use the oic-comment list; OIC members could use
the
> OASIS svn.
>

> * 5. Conf call or VoIP-only
>
> Probably we need something more than freeconferencecall.com. Perhaps
> this is something one of the vendors could contribute ?

Do we need voice?  Is Skype available on Linux?

> Funding opportunity: we could try to get funding from NLnet (for
example,
> for covering marketing and conf call expenses)
>
> http://opendocument.xml.org/news/nlnet-foundation-seeks-odf-
> proposals-for-funding

I'm not sure why funding would be needed.  We had interoperability events
in Beijing in 2009 and in Barcelona in 2008, run by the ODF Adoption TC.
They were not official OASIS Interop Demo's, and we did not need to pay
any money.

Whatever we do, I hope we can be very focused with clear goals and
objectives.  It might make sense to focus on a single topic, like
spreadsheet formulas, or presentation animation.  That way we would be
more likely to accomplish something tangible.

-Rob