oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] virtual ODF interop fest ?

Title: RE: [oic] virtual ODF interop fest ?

Rob,

> Is there something special about May 6th?

Hopefully nothing at all. I'm trying to avoid holidays (Easter holidays
mid-April, Labour Day...)

It's the first Wednesday in May, and we have an OIC conference call
scheduled that day, so that's why I suggested May 6th...

Is it too soon ?

>> * 3. Subversion server or perhaps a simple website or online drive for
>> sharing documents
>> XML.org could be used, we'll have to think about file storage/sharing
>> requirements
>

> Are the documents only coming from the OIC TC?  If so we can post them
> easily to file repository, in a ZIP if needed.  We probably don't need
> to worry about SVN.  Remember, you might get less technical people
> interested in an interop event, users who would just load documents on
> different application/platform combinations, and report errors, but
> don't know how to run Subversion.

Well, we need at least one (or a few) documents crafted by the OIC TC, to
get things started.

I wouldn't mind non-members testing / submitting their own documents or
scenarios (that's were the "test case requirements" you suggested would
play an important role)

> * 5. Conf call or VoIP-only
>
> Probably we need something more than freeconferencecall.com. Perhaps
> this is something one of the vendors could contribute ?
>

> Do we need voice?  Is Skype available on Linux?

Not necessarily. And yes, Skype is available on Linux
http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/

> Funding opportunity: we could try to get funding from NLnet (for
example,
> for covering marketing and conf call expenses)
>
> http://opendocument.xml.org/news/nlnet-foundation-seeks-odf-
> proposals-for-funding
>

> I'm not sure why funding would be needed.  We had interoperability
> events  in Beijing in 2009 and in Barcelona in 2008, run by the ODF
> Adoption TC.
> They were not official OASIS Interop Demo's, and we did not need to
> pay any money.

Not sure if we actually need funding, although making it an official
OASIS event might be a good thing

Reading http://www.oasis-open.org/who/interop_demo_policy.php, the
fee is only intended to cover expenses (not as a revenue-generating
business)

> Whatever we do, I hope we can be very focused with clear goals and
> objectives.

+1

> It might make sense to focus on a single topic, like
> spreadsheet formulas, or presentation animation. That way we would
> be more likely to accomplish something tangible.

Personally, I'd go for a simple mix to offer people some choice, and
perhaps go for the "customer centric" approach (yes, scoring some
marketing points here): using a real document instead of the techie
feature collection approach.

So uhm, what about an expense sheet ? That's a document everyone is
familiar with. Something with a little logo, a few font styles,
footer, a current date field, very simple embedded spreadsheet ?

People can test various aspects, like accessibility, or encrypt it,
or focus on layout, different locales...

Best regards,

Bart