oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] Confused about the purpose of the Interop Profile

Cherie Ekholm <cheriee@exchange.microsoft.com> wrote on 03/22/2010
03:42:45 PM:

> The intent of the current document as it was explained, was to
> clarify 1.1, which is the superset of all ODF 1.1.

I don't think that OASIS will "clarify" standards other than correcting
them via Approved Errata and revising them through the normal standards
development process.  So where we currently say the interop profile
"clarifies" ODF 1.1, we should take that out.  We should phrase it more
like "This profile standard defines additional interoperability
requirements for Desktop Personal Productivity Applications beyond those
specified in the OASIS ODF 1.1 standard", or something like that.

It is subtle, but important.  We don't want someone to read this not
realize that this is a different TC and then incorrectly assume that this
formally changes the requirements of the ODF 1.1 standard.

> Your suggestion was to " focus on the specific horizontal domain of
> desktop personal productivity applications for this profile".
>
> That would seem to mean that some modifications will need to be made
> to the existing profile so that it targets only your DPPA horizontal
> suggestion rather than all of ODF 1.1 as it currently does.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying the profile "targets...all of ODF
1.1".  Is there anything in particular in the profile that you think is
not relevant to interoperability with desktop PPA implementations of ODF?

> Otherwise we are back to the original issue that the profile is
> neither a horizontal nor a vertical, but is instead a whole new
> conformance class of ODF 1.1 and should be referred to the ODF TC.

We need to avoid that confusion.  Nothing in this profile can change the
definition of conformance for ODF 1.1.  All we can do is define
conformance for this profile.

-Rob