tag message

Subject: RE: [tag] Re: Starting an issues list?

Informally, it seems to me that if tag-comment contribution is an issue for
you, Contribution on a tag-dev might be too.  I think it would be for me.

On the other hand, I agree that you are talking about matters that would not
be appropriate for tag-comment, which is supposed to be for
comments/contributions on the specifications themselves.

I do agree that a tag-dev or tag-users list is an useful thing to have,
whether it is an OASIS-hosted list or in some other venue that the TAG TC
page could link to.  Whatever the arrangement, your presence as a
participant would be invaluable.

 - Dennis

MY PERSONAL UNDERSTANDING AND PRACTICE [probably more than matters here]

If there were some IPR-disclosure impediment to making comments on
tag-comment, I would expect to be subject the same constraint (e.g., under
an employer confidentiality and invention ownership condition) on a tag-dev
list, whether or not OASIS has a click-through agreement on a list of theirs
that I contribute to.

My personal experience is that such constraints involve local employment law
and particular conditions of employment.  As an independent consultant, I
operate under similar restraints in contractual arrangements with clients.
None of those arrangements impinge on my OASIS participation and
contributions.  I make certain of that.  And I honor the confidentiality and
property rights that are my contractual obligations independent of the
particular forums and discussions I participate in, whether public or
private.

For open-source projects that I lead, I do not accept anonymous
contributions and I make sure that anyone offering to provide substantial
contributions has any necessary employer permissions to make such
contributions without encumbrance.  If there is any doubt, or the
contributor is reluctant to consult their employer on the matter, I request
that they not contribute. This is a simple, straightforward precaution.
(Although limiting contributions is no fool-proof protection against
infringement, it is a valuable first-order safeguard.)