Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] IBM to Support BPEL-Based Web Services

Kenji,

I would disagree here.

I have built a BPEL editor as well as a BPSS one.

BPEL - as John Yunker so rightly noted - represents
climbing Mount Fuji - just to make a cup of tea
every morning.

Joe Chiusano has come the closest I've seen to
defining a simple approach to BPEL - but that
suffers from being too simplistic.

Don't forget before you can write any BPEL - you
first have to learn and write WSDL.  It could not
be more complicated if you tried!

BPEL really is in danger of being a mini-4GL -
and then there are three ways of doing most
things - so which one do you pick and why?

Now of course Microsoft and IBM have tried
to hide all this underneath GUI interfaces that
write it all for you.  The snag then is that the
BPEL it creates will only work inside their
toolset (naturally!) and nowhere else.

Maybe you can reserve judgement on just
what kind of lowlevel trickery is needed in
BPSS - my sense is not much.

My experience is that for building
eBusiness process definitions BPSS has
an excellent feel to it - and the right level
of detail and control mechanisms to make
it attainable by business designers (this was
John Yunkers another point).

That is why I am focused on the editing
tool as the way to bring realization to the
marketplace.  Once business designers
realize they can do this themselves quickly
and easily and are not beholden to a
classic situation where BPEL programmers
have to dictate everything to everyone else,
as technology, not business - then the
better off everyone will be.

I believe there is every much chance that
the marketplace will reject BPEL as being
too complex and too arcane.  I say this
because I've seen alternative process control
scripting built by another market leader in
this space - and their approach was compelling
and simple.   Therefore my conclusion is
that's only a matter of time before we have a
Python style event horizon and someone like
a James Clark is talking up their simpler easier
method....

DW.