Subject: Re: [office] text:meta-field

Dave,

Sorry for the recent silence. A cable system acquisition and following
"upgrade" has toasted my access for the last several days. :-(

Dave Pawson wrote:
> On 30/10/2007, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software Engineer - Sun
> Microsystems <Oliver-Rainer.Wittmann@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Dave Pawson wrote:

>>> I still haven't heard any justification for it.
>>>

>> I can only say, that there are several corporate customers and
>> government customers of OpenOffice.org, which are requesting the feature
>> of "multi-paragraph-spanning" input fields. For some of these customers
>> this feature is a must.
>>

> Sorry, I don't regard that as justification. If they want a Microsoft Logo
> would you add that?
>
> What technical justification is there for breaking the xml tree model please?
>
> Perhaps your customers would pay you for a branch just for them
> if it's so important to them?

We already "break" the tree model, such as with bookmarks, so I don't
see that as a real drawback.

But the first question I would ask is for an example of a
"multi-paragraph spanning" input field.

It isn't clear to me what a "multi-paragraph spanning" input field would
look like?

Particularly in a text:meta-field context.

I understand what is meant by "multi-paragraph spanning" so I suppose
where I stick is input field? Do you mean that the input field could
generate content to replace part of the content of one paragraph, any
number of other paragraphs and then part of the content of a concluding
paragraph? (in continuous order)

I think those sort of questions are more likely to get us to the point
of understanding Florian's request, which I must admit I find intriguing.

Hope you are having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Acting Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
Co-Editor, OpenDocument Format (OASIS, ISO/IEC 26300)