Subject: Re: [office] text:meta-field

Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
<snip>
>> But the first question I would ask is for an example of a
>> "multi-paragraph spanning" input field.
>
> Patrick, Florian's already posted an example. See top-of-thread.

Is Oliver's restating of it:

> <new-input-field|new-meta-field>
>     <field-prefix>AAA</field-prefix>
>     <field-suffix>DDD</field-suffix>
> </new-input-field|new-meta-field>
Equivalent to Florian's example?

I looked at Florian's example:

> Sample:
And it looks like an unnecessarily complicated markup model. Can say
exactly what Florian wants to say but it isn't necessary to have
overlapping paragraph (or other) elements to do it.

Noting that with Oliver's solution, we preserve the ability of an
application to simply render the text content of a paragraph.

>> It isn't clear to me what a "multi-paragraph spanning" input field
>> would look like?
>>
>> Particularly in a text:meta-field context.
>>
>> I understand what is meant by "multi-paragraph spanning" so I suppose
>> where I stick is input field? Do you mean that the input field could
>> generate content to replace part of the content of one paragraph, any
>> number of other paragraphs and then part of the content of a
>> concluding paragraph? (in continuous order)
>
> This is what's confusing to me, and it goes back to question I earlier
> asked: what *is* a field?

Good question.

Hope you are having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Acting Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
Co-Editor, OpenDocument Format (OASIS, ISO/IEC 26300)