Subject: Re: [office] Public comment #20 -- default print range in tables

Andreas J Guelzow <aguelzow@math.concordia.ab.ca> wrote on 07/01/2008 02:02:41 PM:

> On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 11:17 -0400, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> >
> > My point is also that even if a print range is defined, an application
> > does not always follow it.  If the user makes an explicit selection in
> > the spreadsheet UI, then that is the range printed, regardless of what
> > is stored in the document that was loaded.
>
> Interesting. I am not aware of a spreadsheet in which there isn't always
> a selection. So what do you mean with "explicit selection"? For example
> in Openoffice.org, how do I make usre I have no explicit selection if I
> have already clicked on a cell in this session?

I mean an explicit print selection.  So, in Excel, File\Print Area\Set Print Area.  OpenOffice has similar functionality at Format\Print Ranges.

The point is that if a user makes such a selection, they have not changed the value of printrange in their document.  In fact, it may be a read-only document and the value of printrange cannot change.

In practice, printrange is the last printrange that was set before the document was last saved.  Whether that range is used again when the document is reloaded will depend on many things.  We can't even assume that the range is still valid.  The sheet may have been edited on the server, programmatically, and the printrange refers to cells or sheets that no longer exist.