Subject: RE: [office] ODF 1.2 draft 7 - table chapter

I want to add that recognition as authoritative should come from
subject-matter experts, of course, while still being at a level where it is
useful to standards authors, implementers, and other stakeholders to
appraise the situation.  We hope that we are relying on something reliable
and we owe it to our stakeholders to make clear what it is we are depending
on so that they can verify it for themselves in reviewing our work.

I'd say that ISO 8601:2004 passes muster as far as Gregorian-calendar dates
go, although I must say that the Wikipedia accounts led me more easily to
the key elements that needed to be verified in my inspection of 8601.  (I
think that is the usual advantage of having alternative explanations as a
way to guide and confirm my understanding.)

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200810/msg00175.html
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 19:46
To: office@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: robert_weir@us.ibm.com

I was angling for a "modern reference that fully describes the existing
practice" that is recognized complete and authoritative and that can be
cited, found, and used.

I think we are on safe ground with ISO 8601:2004 for the Gregorian calendar,
even though it is a little indirect about it.  (I would not vouch for the
ISO 8601 description of time intervals in units longer than days at all.)

As I said, I have nothing to offer on other important calendars that remain
in use.

 - Dennis