Subject: RE: [office] ODF 1.2 draft 7 - table chapter

Michael, I tend to agree with your rationale, although I think something
more definitive (and normative) needs to be considered when the
specification calls forth some capability that must be reconciled with an
externally-defined characteristic, especially where adopters would be
surprised by inconsistency in an interchange situation.  The resolution
should be pragmatic and specific to the case at hand, I suppose.

For example, it is simple to say how different forms of calendar date are
identified in the markup and what their displayable forms look like. When
conversion between such dates and when manipulation of such dates is
involved, I think it may require something more specific.  If we say that
conversion and manipulation are expected, we may need to identify how that
is to be done.  We don't specify operations on text that require knowing
anything about the language code, as far as I know, so we are more-easily
excused, although if we did string-based comparisons that assume
language-sensitive collation (maybe in the database), that is a different
story.  We also don't claim (as far as I know) any dependence on the amazing
amount of guidance around Unicode in language-specific use and how it is to
be rendered in the presentation of a document.

It occurs to me that, for example, there may not be a good specification for
how one expresses the difference between two Gregorian dates (internally
represented) as a time interval with units larger than days.  (What does it
mean to be 2 months apart, or 3 years and 3 months apart, etc.)  To the
degree that we have stakeholders who would expect to see the same answer
across implementations, we may have to choose an authority and identify that
we are assuming that.  We could also say that we are not doing so and that
is intentional.  Either one strikes me as a responsible thing to do when
there is not a settled and easily-known way of doing it.  (I would be happy
to learn that ISO 8601 settles the matter.  I may have overlooked it.  I
also haven't checked to see if the XSD data type definitions provide any
relief.  It would be awkward to have to say the expected result is what is
produced by product X version Y on platform Z.)

I think I have wandered too far off the point about reviewing the feedback
on the Table Chapter and I will now get back to business ...

 - Dennis