oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] application scenario The Hague

Andreas,

thanks for the input, I'll change it and upload a new version
(probably Sunday or Monday)

Best regards

Bart
From: Andreas J. Guelzow [aguelzow@math.concordia.ab.ca]
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 11:19 PM
To: Hanssens Bart
Cc: oic@lists.oasis-open.org

On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 21:32 +0200, Hanssens Bart wrote:
> Andreas,
>
> (...)
>
> >> Create a new page style "oic-page"
> >> Apply "oic-page" to current page
> >
> > How does this have anything to do with interoperability but just with how
> > the implementation works. Unless these styles could be transferred
> > between documents, whether they have specific names in the
> > interface is interface design.
> >
> > I can easily imagine an implementation that would let me choose between
> > the page styles existing in the current document without having given
> > them specific names.
> >
> > As a user I find it always disconcerting that I am asked to define a style
> > and hen apply it.
>
> (Ok, so you would like to have an application that would let you apply
> whatever layouting (setting font size, color) while editing, letting the
> implementation create some internal name in the background for it,
> and then selecting and reusing it whenever you feel like it)
>

> So, for the scenario, would it be better to change
>
>    Create a new page style "oic-page"
>    Apply "oic-page" to current page
>
> into
>
>    Use whatever A4 portrait page style that has a 2 cm margin...
>

> Or just forego the style-notion altogether:
>
>    Create a new A4 page, portrait with a 2 cm margin...

Well, I think the style notion is useful to be able to duplicate styles,
so instead of:

General text:
     1. Create a paragraph style "oic-text"
     2. Set the font for "oic-text" to Arial 12 point
     3. Add the text "This is an example of an expense sheet. Fill out
        the paperwork and get reimbursed." on a new line
     4. Apply "oic-text" to this text

we could have

5. General text:
     1. Add the text "This is an example of an expense sheet. Fill out
        the paperwork and get reimbursed." on a new line
     2. Set the font for "oic-text" to Arial 12 point

and then in 6. instead of

Add the text "From: " on a new line
Apply "oic-text" to this text

we would have

Add the text "From: " on a new line
and format that line to match the style of 5. permanently.

If we agree that "permanently means that any changes in the style of 5
are also reflected in the style of 6 ten we have the desired effect
without specifying how that is implemented.

And as a user I prefer to say: make this look like that, rather than
having to go through "style creation".

Andreas
--
Andreas J. Guelzow, PhD, FTICA
Coordinator, Mathematical & Computing Sciences