search-ws-comment message

Subject: RE: [search-ws-comment] "Last Week" is a bad idea for <actualValue>

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 09:51:01 -0400, Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress wrote

> The essence of the discussion is: displayTerm is in Scan; we want
> scan and facets to be aligned in this matter; there is a valid use
> case for it in scan and therefore we do not want to depricate
> displayTerm from scan, at least not at this time, so we will retain

OK.

> it in facets for the time being. This is all subject to comment and
> reconsideration during the public review period.

The text description, however, for displayTerm
     "A string to display to the end user in place of the term itself. For
     example this might add back in diacritics or capitalisation which do
     not appear in the index."

should still be changed. I would suggest the example be removed. If one sees
the need for an example I think a better use case representing a major class
of its current (or projected) usage should be presented.

If one really wants to talk about diacritics etc. then the text could be
something like this:

  "This might be used, for example, to display diacritics, characters and/or
  capitalisations which don't appear in the term (value)."

A slight modification to the description text to

"A string that can be displayed to the end user in place of or in addition to
the term itself"

would let us use displayTerm as a hybrid of alternative display and hint.

Again in Scan:

The text for (Term) "value" should be changed away from "The term, exactly as
it appears in the index" to also be aligned with facet.

--

Edward C. Zimmermann, NONMONOTONIC LAB
Office Leo (R&D):