Subject: Re: [soa-rm] eCommerce definitions

Duane Nickull wrote:
> One thing I have trouble with is the use of words like "send" WRT to an
> electronic message.  Is anything really sent?  No - all that happens is
> the voltage at one end point is switched on and off several times and
> the other side detects the voltage switches.  Nothing is actually sent
> from one place to another.  Can someone actually "receive" an electronic
> message?

Nothing is sent? This sounds like the old "action-at-a-distance"
theory from the 18th century. Actually, in an electronic message
large numbers of photons and electrons are in movement. Some, such
as those photons going from a ground station to a satellite relay,
actually travel relatively long distances.... ;-)

In my opinion, the words "sent" and "received" will do nicely...

-- Greg

G.A. Kohring
C&C Research Laboratories, NEC Europe Ltd.