Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Proposal to invite Laurent as a guest in XTM

Reminder:

I am expecting to get the votes of the participating members for the
admission
of Laurent Olivry  and David Steinberg at the Paris meeting.

Thank you for answering as soon as you can.

Michel

Here are some comments about the last mail from Steve Pepper about this
issue.

[Steve Pepper wrote:]
> The Paris meeting is NOT the place for new invited guests, unless
> they have been intimately involved in the work up to now.

The decision to suspend admission of new members was voted to be hold
until the Dallas meeting [Nov. 2000] because of the pressure to finish XTM
1.0.
The core specification has been delivered and now we just have to finalize
the accompanying text. The editorial committee is working extremely hard
since
the last meeting to make this happen. This should leave us some space to
discuss
what we want to do next (at least I hope).

> The XTM
> spec is not finished,

The editors have worked -- and are still working now -- to present the
version 1.0
for final review at the Paris meeting, as planned.

> it has a number of serious bugs and
> inconsistencies,

Some of them have been corrected by the editors. It would be helpful to
receive a full list
as soon as possible. Please send what you know asap so that we can check
whether they have
already been taken care of.

> and there is major dissent in the existing AG.

There has been lots of discussions. They have been concluded by votes. The
rules of democracy are that a group has to follow what has been decided by
the majority. Everyone has had plenty of opportunities to express his/her
opinions throughout the meetings and email. If the democratic rules have not
been violated, then the fact that there are different points of view is
rather healthy, no?

> There are also some people who feel that process has been abused
> and that issue also needs to be cleared up during the meeting.

We have tried to accomplish a nearly impossible task, which is to set up a
committee and make a standard spec, in a very short time frame, make it
publicly available, and publicize it so that it can be considered useful by
a large community. We are not far from having succeeded in doing it.

We also have made all possible efforts to stick to the charter we have
defined ourselves. If somebody feels that the process has been abused, we
need to know who is feeling this and in which sense the process has been
abused. If this is the case, we should change whatever needs to be changed
to improve the situation and prevent this to happen again. But again, to do
this, we need to know what you are talking about.

> New guests cannot contribute usefully on any of these issues.

It is my hope that the issues you raise will not occupy 3 days of the
meeting. Therefore,
I insist that the process of welcoming new members should be reopened.

> Furthermore, I object to having to vote for someone I don't know
> merely on the basis of a CV and somebody else's recommendation.

This is the only way we can do it. By saying that, you are implicitly saying
that you will refuse admittance of anybody that you don't know personnally ?
If everybody agrees with this position, there is no way that this group will
be
open any day to any new member. We need to do something about this.

> This list has been open to the whole world ever since its inception;
> it is my feeling that anyone who believes they can contribute at
> a meeting should start out by contributing to the email discussion.

This is not part of the charter. If you want to bring this as a
prerequisite,
then we should discuss it and vote on it.

Michel
Michel Biezunski, InfoLoom
Tel +33 1 44 59 84 29 Cell +33 6 03 99 25 29
Email: mb@infoloom.com  Web: www.infoloom.com