ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] looking for practical examples

Have the 1,500 data elements been de-duped?  In not, perhaps a de-duping
exercise could be done. Is there a handy list?

Apart from dupes, a 1,500 term vocabulary does not seem excessive for the
eBusiness B2B cycle.

On the other hand, in the world of internal systems and the subject that
started this thread, inventory system, 1,500 data fields hardly begins to
suffice. As I recall, a large retail bank did an inventory and found that it
had more 20,000 data fields. Although people complain about SAP's size (with
many more tables than there are UBL data elements), every SAP data element
has some major constituency that loves it. You just cannot do with out data
fields like VERPR - Moving average price/periodic unit price, or VKSAL Value
of total valuated stock at sale price.

As to reducing the number of candidate fields per document, creating more
granular documents in order to have fewer fields per document makes managing
document roles and boundaries an issue (e.g., distinguishing among external
purchase orders, orders from stock, orders for stock and maintenance work
orders that have embedded orders for parts, particularly if it is not clear
to the buyer in advance where the part will come from). Also the
combinations of document-to-field increase and change management issues
arise. If document A changes, but document B does not, their shared data
fields may diverge, leading to the proliferation of new fields).

The ideal design for a transaction-oriented environment such as UBL is one
"document" per action verb (e.g., to buy, to ship, to receive, to invoice,
to pay, etc.). Presumably UBL configuration tools can help users check off
the fields available and relevant to the transaction. In effect, a UBL
transaction is an RDF "triple" (subject-verb-predicate) with the verb
implied by document type (order implies and instantiates the verb "to
order"). RDF people tend to focus on "to be," which is not much of a verb.

					Fulton Wilcox
					Colts Neck Solutions LLC