Subject: Minutes: DITA Technical Committee on 15 September 2009

Gershon Joseph
Technical Leader, Engineering
Product Development Services

gerjosep@cisco.com
Phone: +972 9 892-7157
Mobile: +972 57 314-1170

Cisco Systems, Inc.

Israel
Cisco home page

Think before you print. Think before you print.
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

Cisco Systems Limited (Company Number: 02558939), is registered in England and Wales with its registered office at 1 Callaghan Square, Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT

GIF image

GIF image

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes

The DITA Technical Committee met on 15 September 2009 at 08:00am PT for 60
minutes.

Chaired by Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Minutes recorded by Gershon Joseph <gerjosep@cisco.com>

Roll call
> Quorum was achieved.

Approve minutes from previous business meetings:
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00120.html (8 September 2009, Gershon)
> Minutes approved by acclamation.

Subcommittee/liaison reports (as needed)

* OASIS DITA Adoption TC (today)
  > Gershon updated the TC

  > The SC is working on the following items:
  > * selection criteria for users selecting DITA tools
    > * a vendor-oriented doc is planned for later
    > * we hope to develop a test suite of DITA content that users can
    >   use to test the tools they are considering for DITA support.

    > Don noted that the Help TC has a world time clock examples we may be able
    > to leverage.

    > Gershon will take this note back to the TC.

  > * We are working on the following DITA feature articles:
  >   * Keyref (this one has already been published)
  >   * Generic task type (draft)
  >   * Improved link management (in progress)
  >   * Referencing a range of elements (final)
  >   * Conref by push (draft)
  >   * Acronyms and Glossaries (2 articles, one is a high-level introduction
  >     and overview, the other is a more detailed article that discusses all
  >     related elements.

  > * SWOT analysis is still in progress.

  > * Planning a Translation Adoption SC

  > Paul raised concern on too many SCs. Long discussion...
  > Don suggestion creating guidelines for scoping and managing the formation
  > of new SCs and existing SCs.

Announcement:
* Technical reviewers for specialization book (Hamilton)
  * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00112.html

ITEM: DITA 1.2 specification

* Business:

  * Progress report on architectural spec
    > Gershon noted that the authors are making good progress.
    > Deadlines are at risk, since there is still lots of work to be done.

  * Generic Task vs. Task topic type
    * Need to tighten up spec wording and possibly DTDs/Schema.
    > This was discussed as part of the main work item further down in the
      agenda.

  * Outstanding action items:

    * Add hazard-statement graphics to applicable lang ref topics (Kravogel)

      > Kris sent the images shortly before the meeting and will send
      > descriptions after the meeting.
      > CLOSED.

* Follow up:

 * order for lang ref files
   * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00042.html (Kristen reply)
   > CONTINUED.

ITEM: Issue: glossary.dtd does not conform to 1.2 naming specs (rate as a 1.2 bug?)
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00022.html (Kimber)
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00034.html (Ogden, "1.3?")

> Eliot: Jeff agreed with me that making the change would not be disruptive.
> The existing modules would redirect to the new ones.
> The TC agreed to rename the current glossary.* to glossentry.* and create new
> glossary.* files that redirect to the glossentry.* files. There would be no
> functional change to the current glossary.* files.

> The TC agreed to mark the old glossary.* as deprecated.

> Jeff: The spec should also list the reason why they are being deprecated.

> DECISION: Eliot's motion was accepted by acclamation.

> ACTION: Eliot to update the docs, DTDs and schema and put all the changes in
> SVN.

New ITEM: History question: Why does <data> not include <cite>?
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00028.html (Kimber)
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00046.html (Hennum)
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00064.html (Kimber, reply)
> CLOSED.

New ITEM: Problems with the task model (new question from JoAnn)
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00080.html (JoAnn)
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00083.html (Kimber)
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00097.html (Priestley reply to Steffen)
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00104.html (Eberlein, final assessment?)

> DECISION: Task constraint should be added to DITABASE so that its task is
> also constrained.

> ACTION: Robert to add task constraint to DITABASE.

> Su-Laine is concerned that the generic task type then wont be available in
> the ditabase.
> Eliot: DITABASE is intended for conversion, not production.
> Su-Laine: That's exactly why it's more important to support it in ditabase.

> The discussion came back to the automatic shell generator discussion...

> Continue discussion on the list.
> CONTINUED.

New ITEM: Constraints support (spinoff from task model)
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00082.html (Hennum, then follow the trail)
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00109.html (Kimber, rollup)
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00118.html (Ogden, Arbortext adoption example)
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00144.html (Yeo, XMetaL adoption example)

> CLOSED.
> Note: If JoAnn has a more specific question we can take it as an editorial
> comment)

New ITEM: <text> should be allowed just about everywhere
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00105.html (Kimber)
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00128.html (Kimber, agreement to put onto 1.3 list)

> ACTION: Eliot to add to the 1.3 list.
> CLOSED.

New ITEM: Bug in 1.2 DTDs with xml:lang
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00127.html (Grosso)

> ACTION: Robert to fix the 1.2 DTDs
> CLOSED.

New ITEM: 1.3 Issue: Use FUll CALS Table
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00129.html (Kimber)
* Don recommends putting directly to 1.3 list

> ACTION: Eliot to add this item to the 1.3 feature list.
> CLOSED.

New ITEM: 1.3 Issue: Allow <tgroup> With <fig>/Allow
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200909/msg00131.html (Kimber)
* Don recommends putting directly to 1.3 list

> Eliot: Need to allow tables in figures and figures in tables.
> ACTION: Eliot to add this to the 1.3 features list including use cases and
> scenarios.
> CLOSED.

*** Meeting Adjourned ***