Subject: Re: [regrep] [Fwd: [regrep-semantic] IBM BI-ICS]

Anne Thomas Manes wrote:

> For the most part I prefer to reference standards works as opposed to
> private works, but I make exception for some things -- especially when
> they provide essential functionality AND when they contain an open
> copyright notice. Such is the case with WS-Addressing.
>
> WS-Addressing provides essential functionality -- a standard mechanism
> to reference a Web service endpoint. In my opinion, it's one of the
> most critical WS specifications published last year. I am not aware of
> any competitive effort that is currently defining this type of mechanism.
>
> And I suggest you read the copyright notice [1]. It the most open spec
> notice I've ever seen.
>
> [1]
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnglobspec/html/ws-addressing.asp
>

> Anne

Anne,

I do not see how you call it the most open spec notice you've
ever seen. Nowadays copyright notices as pretty open (except in the
music industry
of course ;)) It's when it comes to patent claims and licenses that
things get
sticky.

On surface this one seems ok there are some disturbing aspects
there that should be taken into account. First of all, this same spec,
same version, same date (13 March 2003) used to carry a very different
notice
(and I have a PDF copy that I downloaded from one of their sites in mid
2003 that