Subject: Re: [regrep] [Fwd: [regrep-semantic] IBM BI-ICS]

I seem to have set off a firestorm...

I don't think I ever intended to imply that the *process* by which the
IBM/MSFT/BEA cartel has defined their myriad specifications is especially
open. It is slightly more open than other efforts that claim to produce
standards (e.g., Liberty Alliance, RFID, numerous industry groups, etc).
The cartel provides open invitations to anyone that wants to participate in
workshops, and I can join the discussion list simply by signing a legal
document. I'm not required to pay any fees. But I'm also not permitted to
join as an author. The cartel is very restrictive about who gets a piece of
the IPR.

I also want to note that the copyright in the WS-A spec grants IPR to
implement the WS-A spec -- but it does not grant the right to create
derivative works. So implementors need to be very cautious to implement it
as a pure WS-A library.

I recall when they reissued the spec with the new copyright statement. I
didn't realize that they didn't change the date on the spec, though. That
does worry me a bit.

Even so, the industry has adopted quite a few specifications that never
went through a formal standardization process. Just look at SOAP 1.1 and
WSDL 1.1. These two specs are the foundation for a pretty significant
market segment. IBM and Microsoft retain the IPR to these specs. Yet we all
have built products and applications based on these specs, and RegRep
certainly references them. The copyright statements in these specs are much
less open than the one in WS-A.

W3C is building standards based on these specs, but that doesn't change the
IPR issues surrounding use of SOAP 1.1 and WSDL 1.1. SOAP 1.2 is now a W3C
standard, but I don't know of anyone that's basing products or applications
on this spec yet. WSDL 2.0 is definitely not ready for prime time. I doubt
that we'll see people start to adopt the next generation of the Web
services framework for at least a couple more years.

Regarding DIME, WS-Attachments, WS-Routing, WS-Referral, etc -- these were
Microsoft solo efforts, not joint collaborations from the cartel. These
specs are now being superceded by joint efforts -- just as SDL and XLANG
were superceded by WSDL and BPEL. Note that WS-Addressing replaces
WS-Routing/Referral.

Also note that MTOM (a product of W3C XMLP) will replace both
WS-Attachments and SOAP with Attachments. MTOM is a much better model for
attachments because it includes the attachment in the SOAP message infoset
-- which enables you to protect its contents using WS-Security. Besides --
MTOM is a royalty free product of the W3C.

You should be aware that just because a specification is product of a
standards effort, that doesn't make it public domain. Look at XrML. You
need to pay ContentGuard to obtain a license to implement it.

Anne