amqp-comment message

Subject: Re: [amqp-comment] amqp over http draft

On 28/05/2019 12:55 pm, Clemens Vasters wrote:
I want "subject" to state "This is an HTTP PROPPATCH request" or "This is an HTTP 429 response" in trivially machine-readable form and as a singular statement.

You prefer for the subject to just say "PROPPATCH" or "429" and then gather further surrounding evidence from the message to figure out that this is indeed meant to be an HTTP request or response.

In my cases, the handling of messages is determined mostly by the link it arrives over and/or the 'to' field. A clean mapping means the status or method needs no special processing while bridging.

Once it gets to the intended recipient, they then know also what the subject implies, i.e. what PROPPATCH means if they support it, or whether the 429 response requires any action on their part. I can't envisage any case where the prefixes are useful, they just seem like ugly cruft that the applications (as well as other infrastructure) are forced to deal with.

I fail to see how the latter is easier or involving fewer operations for someone writing a dispatcher or for someone looking at the message in a Wireshark dump or in a debugger.

It is clear I don't understand your use case at all, so I won't comment on that, but in my case it is certainly a hindrance not a help. Not only would it require unnecessary processing of the method and status in the bridging components, it would force amqp clients and services to use the prefixes when requesting or responding.

I don't really see any advantage to someone looking at a wireshark dump either tbh, and I've done my fair share of that.