Subject: Re: [office] text:meta-field

Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> On 10/30/07, Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote:
>
>> Bruce,
>>
>> Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>> <snip>

>>> Patrick, Florian's already posted an example. See top-of-thread.
>>>

>> Is Oliver's restating of it:

>>> <new-input-field|new-meta-field>
>>>     <field-prefix>AAA</field-prefix>
>>>     <field-suffix>DDD</field-suffix>
>>> </new-input-field|new-meta-field>
>>>
>> Equivalent to Florian's example?
>>
>> I looked at Florian's example:
>>

>>> Sample:
>>>
>> And it looks like an unnecessarily complicated markup model. Can say
>> exactly what Florian wants to say but it isn't necessary to have
>> overlapping paragraph (or other) elements to do it.
>>
>> Noting that with Oliver's solution, we preserve the ability of an
>> application to simply render the text content of a paragraph.
>>

> Yeah, the more I think about it, the more this looks like the
> territory for inline metadata. E.g. this is a case where you want to
> tag the literal document content with some semantics. I always assumed
> a field to be different.

Well, I don't know this makes a case for "inline" metadata but simply
that you need to apply metadata to the content. I am not sure that
"inline" really has any meaning in a UI based environment. It could be
"inline" or it could be by reference, really hard to say from the user's
perspective. Granted that for processing reasons you could choose inline
to simply lessen the load on the application but shouldn't the end
result, the application of the metadata be the same?

Hope you are having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Acting Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
Co-Editor, OpenDocument Format (OASIS, ISO/IEC 26300)