Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Topic Naming Constraint question

* Jan Algermissen

| That really expresses the basic problem I think: Scoping should be
| used in order to express the extend of validity a topic
| characteristic assignment has. So, how do you scope if you want to
| express that a name is in fact a valid characteristic in any
| context? The problem comes in, if ones starts scoping *only* to
| avoid beeing merged.

Exactly, and one of my complaints about the TNC is precisely that it
forces you to do this in every non-trivial topic map.

| This applies to my example also: Amazonas is a valid name for Amazon
| State and it does not feel natural to say it is only valid in the
| context of politics.

I agree, but see Steve's suggestion.

| My question:
|
| Does the TNC apply if topics have the same name in the same scope
| but different PSIs ?

It would have been perfect if it were so, but unfortunately it is
not. (See Steve's reply.)

--Lars M.

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details